Gibbons School has the following school wide rules and expectations:
- To promote a safe and caring environment, Gibbons School students are expected to remain at school throughout the day (please refer to Attendance Section).
- All types of electronic equipment or items that could interfere with the learning environment (i.e. Game Boy, laser pointer, etc.) are not to be used during school hours. If brought to school these items are not the responsibility of the school and they must be stored securely in the student’s locker upon arrival at school and throughout the school day.
- Cell phones must be turned off during class time. Students may use their cell phone during lunch recess time (12:20 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.) Lost/stolen cell phones are not the responsibility of the school.
- iPods, MP 3 players, gaming devices, etc. are allowed to be used at recess times only. These items are not the responsibility of the school.
- Students are to walk quietly and safely to and from all activities.
- Avoid the use of profane language and the use of inappropriate gestures.
- Be in classrooms during regular class times, on time, and leave only with teacher’s permission.
- Bring all required materials to class (including student agenda) and ensure that all supplies are replaced as needed.
- Keep school desks, lockers and classrooms in good order.
- Report acts of vandalism, damage and criminal acts to the office.
- Items which can be viewed as a weapon, or are deemed to be weapons under the Criminal Code, are prohibited from school property.
- The throwing of snowballs is not permitted on the school grounds.
- Dress as outlined in the dress code shown below.
- Students will be expected to be outside on those days which are warmer than –20°C (unless involved in a supervised inside activity).
- Students are encouraged to dress appropriately for weather conditions, as students are not allowed access to the school until 8:15 a.m. (unless weather determines otherwise).